Friday, December 5, 2014

Re-Run

Momma, tell me what I see is an illusion, tell me why we still fighting for our inclusion?
My skin is brown and they hate me, what have I done,
To make them so filled with hate? They want me to bury my son.
It’s like a re-run
Tell Junior make it home before dark
If the sun sets on his skin, he’ll feel their jaws like the shark
They told me it wasn’t them, their ancestor’s sins
But I can see the resemblance, it’s hidden in their grins
The same smiles they wore staring at black carcasses hanging from trees
And the streets are still burning, three thousand degrees.
Tell me that we’re not still marching for the same fight
Assure me that my father will make it home tonight
In this land of the free, and the price isn’t cheap
Like the Movement meant nothing, still being put to sleep.
And it hasn’t yet been 50 years that’s passed,
since they killed a King
No “Free At Last!”
Still the target of the system, staring down the barrel of a gun.
I’ve seen this before, America’s sick re-run.
Same fight, same enemy, same lives lost
Same marches, same hymns, same lines crossed.
And all we want is peace, but it seems we’ve sinned
To have the nerve to be born in this land, with this skin.
I’m living a re-run, tell Paul Murray I too have the scoop
Like Groundhog’s Day, we’re stuck in a time-loop
So I wouldn’t be surprised that if your skin is black
You didn’t wait for the Equinox to set your calendars back.
No progress has been made, it’s twenty-fourteen
And they still treat us like dogs and spit slurs obscene.
Still staging the scene
Wonder why we react, think we should be appeased
Because our President is black.
They’re still killing us daily, barely keeping afloat
But say we shouldn’t complain, just got the right to vote
And they gloat in our faces, I thought the war was done
Around the mulberry bush we go,
another re-run.
And I can hear the Earth crying, tell me its a hallucination
That got us falling to our knees, praying for salvation
Praying that someone will solve the mystery
Black bodies filling the morgues, repeating the history
We must have forgotten, the justice undone
no remote to change the channel from this sick re-run
Trees whispering secrets of nooses and blood
Dirt spilling up blood
Rivers pouring bodies from the floods
And the stench is familiar I’ve smelled this before
Like the burning gun powder or the blood on the floor
And we keep asking permission
Victims of the Inquisition
Where they smiled when they glanced at our bodies dead and rotten
Fed our babies to dogs
But we must have forgotten
The hoses, the rifles, canines at our flesh
The terrorist acts, yes they did it best!
And we got the same solutions expecting different results
Watching the same episodes, of the same assaults
the same murders, same people, the very same gun.
A revolving door, America’s sick re-run

-Hatshepsut Amun-Re






No comments:

Post a Comment